Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 9 July 2024

Tony Cragg sculptures


This summer at Castle Howard there is an exhibition of sculptures by internationally renowned artist Sir Tony Cragg, who is British but now lives in Germany. I think I've seen pieces by him before, perhaps at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park. They are monumental works, made of a variety of materials: steel, bronze, glass, wood, fibreglass, plastic. His work pushes the boundaries of the materials and contains echoes of his interest in geology, palaeontology and biology as well as the human form.  

I can't honestly say I warm to them... To me they are 'interesting' but not 'beautiful'. They did, however, look commanding in the landscape around Castle Howard and in parts of its interior too, and the pieces were carefully chosen for their locations (though not created as 'site specific').

In the 'Temple of the Four Winds' - an elaborate summerhouse, designed by Vanbrugh in the 18th century as a place where the Howard family could have refreshments (prepared by servants in a kitchen beneath the structure), and sit and chat or read - there was an elaborate Cragg artwork made of sand-blasted glass vessels. There were two stewards keeping an eye on it, who seemed keen to chat as there were few visitors braving the rain to walk out to the Temple. 


The amazing stucco work by Francesco Vassalli that decorates the Temple dates back to 1738. 




Of all the Tony Cragg pieces I noticed, I most liked this one (below), for its sinuous shape and the interesting way it incorporated its surroundings through the twists and bumps in the glass. 


3 comments:

  1. The white one in the 1st shot looks very dramatic in that setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, these sculptures might look good in a arboretum or huge garden, but not a classical setting, in my humble opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I wasn't familiar with the artists Tony Cragg, it was interesting to see a couple of his works, which admittedly didn't appeal much to me as well. However, the red one did remind me of lots of stacked shoe wear.

    ReplyDelete