Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 16 July 2024

Upper Wharfedale


Some months ago I booked myself a short break in Upper Wharfedale in July, on a 'Mindful Photography' workshop. I suppose I was thinking that by this stage I'd have moved house and got everything ship-shape. Of course, I haven't yet got everything sorted, given that my move was delayed and then inevitably everything takes longer than you hope. I'm still in the midst of decorating! Nevertheless, it was good to have a break from the chores and to breathe the fresh, clean air of my favourite local dale and, having returned refreshed, I should have more energy for finishing the remaining tasks. 

The weather was rather mixed, with sunshine, very sharp and heavy showers and gale force winds. It made for some interesting light and skies but my camera kept getting wet so in the end I resorted to using my phone to take photos some of the time. One of the points that was made on the workshop was that we talk about 'taking' photos, 'shooting' and 'capturing' things, which is quite aggressive language. We could equally say that we 'receive' images - much gentler and more considerate. It was with great delight that I received this one, walking down off the fells along the Dalesway footpath towards Kettlewell. 

3 comments:

  1. I've thought about this since you mentioned it in an earlier post. "Received" is OK but it suggests that the process is nothing to do with the photographer, like receiving socks at Christmas - is it useful? I suppose so - is it what I want? well, not exactly - am I grateful? yes, of course. When I'm out with my camera I'm definitely looking for something, though I'd be hard put to say exactly what it is. Another person might be looking for something different. We RECOGNISE the picture when we see it, almost like spotting an old friend. We might alter our position slightly in order to "improve" our view - though often as not I find that the initial moment of recognition is the best picture. So if I wanted to improve the English language I'd use the word "recognise" - however it's been so difficult writing this without using "take" or "capture", that I think I'll leave things as they are. And that's my best shot at explaining myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very thoughtful response, John. I think the use of 'received', in the context that I was at the time - which was a holiday/workshop in a Christian community, had implications of being 'a gift from God/the Creator'. My own understanding of that is that as humans we are in relationship with our Creator and - though his gifts are all around - we still have to respond and - yes, you're right - recognise them. I won't stop using the take/capture language, of course, but trying a different terminology was helpful and made me think.

      Delete