Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 7 November 2023

Helmsley


Helmsley is a small market town located at the mouth of Ryedale on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. It has ancient origins and gained its Borough Charter in 1191. The centre of the town has buildings arranged around the market square with evidence of burgage plots - long, narrow plots of land with a house, that were rented from the king or local lord. The town built its prosperity on wool production and weaving, and later on flax.  


It's an attractive place, a popular destination for tourists and motorcyclists (who ride the B1257 road from Stokesley, a popular biker route). More often than not the centre is packed with motorbikes and cars, with visitors enjoying the range of independent shops, galleries, pubs and cafés. Many of the buildings you see today date from the 17th century. 


Helmsley's Norman castle, now ruined, is the most significant of the medieval buildings that survive.


I just had a short walk around the town and looked in a few galleries. I rather liked the pink car I spotted, especially paired with the pink petunias in the flowertub. 

7 comments:

  1. I took my parents there for a very wet week's holiday once. Pretty little place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks such a delightful, little market town! My kind of place as it has so much history. I wish it was just around the corner! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a charming place! Love your shot of the petunias and pink car.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like such a lovely town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What everyone else said...plus I would love to see the castle remains too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I stumbled over to your blog! Lovely. Aloha friend!

    ReplyDelete