Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 13 November 2023

Silsden saunter


It's that time of year again when I trot off to the garage in Silsden to have my car's summer tyres exchanged for the winter ones. I probably wouldn't bother as usually I avoid driving in ice and snow but, with my daughter and family living over the hill in Calderdale, I'm always afraid I might get caught out. Up on the bleak moorland road that separates us, it can be foggy, snowy or icy even if the weather is fairly pleasant in the valleys. 

I had an hour or so to wait whilst the mechanics got to work and, as it was bright and sunny even though cold, I had a short wander around the town. I was pleased to discover one of those small local hardware stores that sells virtually everything. You can usually buy, say, just two screws if that's what you need, rather than a whole plastic-wrapped pack of twenty such as you'd get in a DIY superstore. Not that I needed anything (though I'm sure once I've moved house I'll be frequenting such shops more often as I get to grips with what needs doing). 

I detoured to explore the churchyard of the parish church of St James, which provides a little green oasis in the centre of town. 



3 comments:

  1. Love those little shops...cannot resist going through, eyeing everything. Love the churchyard with such stately headstones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my snow tires put on last week too although I am definitely in need of them towards the end of December I hope.

    ReplyDelete