Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 1 October 2023

Sunday meditation: Homeless Jesus


Whilst in Manchester I came across this sculpture, known as 'Jesus the Homeless'. The sleeping figure on a bench, wrapped in a blanket, could be any person sleeping rough and at first glance looks very realistic. It's only as you get closer that you understand it is a sculpture. The wounds in the feet bring the realisation that it depicts the crucified Jesus. The artwork is by Canadian artist Timothy Schmalz and is one of several installed in cities around the world. 

The Manchester version is sited outside St Ann's Church in the city centre, a church that has a ministry of outreach to those who find themselves homeless. Sadly, homelessness and food poverty are increasingly common and many agencies, churches and religious organisations put a lot of effort into supporting and caring for people through food banks, soup kitchens and other initiatives. 

'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’  Matthew 25:35-40

6 comments:

  1. Amen to you, and all working to help the homeless and less privileged. I donate several times a month to the local food pantry. A drop in a very big bucket. I was so glad to hear another person put into words..."How awful some people treat others, and do it knowing it will hurt others immensely and say it's in the name of Jesu Christ!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have one of them here outside of a church which does a lot of outreach to the needy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, misspelled. "Jesus Christ," who taught us to love one another!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of his sculptures are here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a similar sculpture inside Linköping cathedral here in Sweden - a homeless person lying on the floor - but checking up on that now, that one was made by a different artist (Charlotte Gyllenhammar) If you want to compare, here is a link:
    https://www.svenskakyrkan.se/linkoping/pilgrimsaltaret-uteliggaren

    ReplyDelete