Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 16 October 2023

A Sunday stroll


In the past few days the temperature has dropped by about 10°C. High pressure temporarily brought sunshine and dry weather, with a sharp frost overnight. It was too gorgeous to stay at home but before I went out I had to find a padded jacket, hat and gloves, packed away since last spring. 

Sir Titus' statue in the park has a reassuring air about it, unchanging and paternal. 


Residents on the Coach Road estate had a fine crop of sunflowers. They always lift my spirits. 


Water was crashing over Hirst Weir, thanks to rain in the past few days but further along the riverbank all was calm, apart from the splashing of oars as a couple of rowers (not pictured) from Bradford Amateur Rowing Club enjoyed their Sunday morning exercise. 



Dappled light through the trees was delightful. 

The canal, when I reached it just beyond the aqueduct, was equally calm, with beautiful reflections in its surface. 



I chose to walk back through Hirst Woods, to see how the autumn colour is coming along. Really, it isn't. Most of the trees still have a predominantly green hue, albeit heading towards the yellow end of the spectrum. There are fallen leaves but mostly just brown and dry looking. Autumn seems late this year, I suppose because it's been so mild. I think the leaves need a few frosts to shock them into transition. 


Returning to Saltaire along the canal towpath, I was visually assaulted by this monstrosity. I suppose it's meant as a bit of fun and to catch people's eye. These blow-up figures are usually to be found outside car washes but this is on the ice-cream boat, itself a bit of an eyesore as far as I'm concerned. How this is allowed in the middle of a World Heritage Site is anyone's guess. It makes me cross because residents in Saltaire have to abide by a host of listed building rules and regulations as to what they're allowed to do with their property - and I'm sure having a yellow blow-up creature on the roof would soon be jumped on! I'm obviously well into the grumpy old woman phase of life. 

6 comments:

  1. Lovely autumn images. Love the sunflowers - and totally understand your reaction to the blow-up eyesore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...that yellow thing is really out of place. Got a pin? The photos were really calming, except the weir perhaps. And I was surprised to see no leaves floating in the canal. Maybe they haven't fallen much yet, or the water moves along faster than it appears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks such a clear day even if a bit cold. I haven't searched for gloves yet or a padded coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH yes. I am a grumpy old woman for sure. Around here, Halloween decorations are going up in front yards....and many are those blow up things. In the daytime, when people are at work, I guess the air compressors are off, so it looks like shreds of garish plastic lying around on lawns. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely scenes even if the autumn colours are not fully out yet. I agree with you about the eyesore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turbulent waters, at least in part.

    ReplyDelete