Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 19 October 2023

Beningbrough #2


The external plan of Beningbrough Hall has the house itself at the centre, flanked by outbuildings on either side that are accessed via archways from the square at the front. Consequently there are some interesting views and hidden courtyards. It was a really gloomy day with little light but no strong shadow either. My photos make it look like there was no-one else about but in fact it was fairly busy with families and I had to wait ages until there was no-one in my pictures!




Looking up above the front door, you can see the Bourchier family heraldry, including 'the Bourchier Knot' on either side of the entwined initials of John and his wife Mary. I'm not sure of the significance of the laughing face. 



There are extensive gardens, with big plans for a new area of planting: a 'Mediterranean garden' designed by Andy Sturgeon, six times gold medallist at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show. 


Tucked away to the side of the house is an area that would have held the domestic services for the mansion. There's a brewhouse and a well-equipped laundry. Many of my own female ancestors would have been familiar with this kind of hardware - a fire boiler to heat the water, dolly tubs and possers, mangles. With our electric irons and washing machines, we are so fortunate these days. 

6 comments:

  1. I remember my mother having a mangle. I often find these domestic parts of these houses more interesting than the grand rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely house and gardens...and laundry too! Some of the faces over the doors look to be those used in drama, so perhaps they liked thespians or supported them. I liked the horse sculptures myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe, like John says above, I seem to relate to the domestic parts. I'll never have a grand room but I do have a washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Door(arch)ways and windows are so evocative to me. And when there's an archway and a winding path and a window--well, what could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a dolly tub with posher and a mangle to squeeze out the water in our washhouse.

    ReplyDelete