Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 3 May 2021

Of rocks and trees

A few more photos from my walk on Otley Chevin. I would have gone further but I'd left my walking shoes at home, and I was wearing soft sneakers. Luckily, April has been a really dry month so the quagmires of winter mud have disappeared. 

The Chevin is criss-crossed by numerous paths and tracks, and has a number of interesting features. One is the Vacca Wall, a long line of upright stones, though to be an ancient vaccary wall for enclosing cattle:

The Chevin has various areas of woodland. In the parts that are predominantly beech, there is little sign yet of spring growth:

I noticed a few carved stones, marking a 'geology trail'. (See HERE) Carved by local artist Shane Green, they each relate to geological features and fossils found in the area. I rather liked the patterns. 



 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful scenery...promise of spring still to come. I'd never seen the Vacca Wall. And those more recently carved stones are also beautiful...made me remember how our civilization may only be remembered by the stones and ceramics we leave behind...thinking of all those toilet bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos. The bare ground area in #3 looks rather bumpy. Is that all stone or dirt? The Vacca wall is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the carved stones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The carved stones are unexpected.

    ReplyDelete