Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 8 May 2021

A surprise visit


The monthly theme in my online photo group for April was 'Surprise', to be interpreted however we chose. I happened to sign up for a tutorial on creating composite images during the month and, rather than use the supplied mythical drama-type images (which weren't really my 'thing') I hit upon the idea of using an old family photo of my grandparents, originally at the seaside.  So this is them making a surprise visit to Saltaire! 

Grandma sadly died just before I was born, so I never knew her. My grandfather was at one time a coal miner, until ill-health forced him to quit, after which he became a coach driver. He was well-used to driving to England's beauty spots, though I doubt he ever came to Saltaire, which was a working mill and not a tourist attraction in those days. But I think they enjoyed their 'day out', judging by their smiles. I felt weirdly happy when I'd finished the image, as though I'd actually shown them round my neighbourhood. 

9 comments:

  1. Very creative and a beautiful interpretation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely Jenny, but the double yellow lines arrived in 1964.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. The point was that they 'came to visit me' in the present.

      Delete
  3. what a great idea...and you have done a magnificent job of merging your grands with the present day background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so elegant, how neat to have that photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superb. I wouldn't know how to start.

    ReplyDelete