Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 25 August 2024

"Gentleman Jack' costumes


Like the Bradford and Saltaire areas, Calderdale is justly proud of its reputation as a location for film and TV shoots. There have been several high-profile and successful series filmed in the area, including 'Gentleman Jack', the story of Anne Lister, a lesbian diarist and landowner, who lived at nearby Shibden Hall. The Bankfield Museum is building a permanent collection of film memorabilia, some of which is on display. Here is a bonnet worn by Sophie Rundle (Ann Walker in Gentleman Jack Series 2 in 2022) and Gentleman Jack's top hat, worn by Suranne Jones  in the same series. 


Upstairs in the Textile Gallery there was an interesting exhibition detailing the process of creating clothing based faithfully on historical dress. It profiled several significant designers and makers, including the costume designer for 'Gentleman Jack', Tom Pye. It had sketches and photographs showing reference costumes, designs and the fittings involved with the actors. 



I was particularly interested to read about Gentleman Jack's greatcoat, and how it was carefully designed to swing as she walked. (In the TV episodes, she habitually walked very fast and the coat flaring around her was a signature statement.) You'll perhaps remember that some of the series was filmed in Saltaire. I was lucky enough to catch a photo of Suranne Jones in the coat, being filmed striding out from the mill (see below).


Other costumes and sketches on display included an outfit worn by Lydia Leonard as Mariana Lawton, and two dresses worn by Sophie Rundle, who played Ann Walker, Gentleman Jack's partner. The print of the checked dress was taken from a swatch in an 1830s pattern book in the Bankfield Museum's collection. 



I've always had a mild interest in historical costume (dating back, perhaps, to those pre-teen days of playing with my best friend. We used to design and make clothes for our 'teenage dolls'.) I found it very interesting to see how designers go about researching the details to make the costumes, not only the overall look and the undergarments, but noting the tiny details like the buttons used and the types of seams. 

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! I also enjoyed Gentleman Jack; Suranne Jones did a superb job! I think we tend to forget how much work and research goes into the costumes for such series ( or films.) 😁

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this with us. It’s always exciting to hear about the intersection of history and film, especially when it’s presented with such care and detail.

    Read my new blog post: www.melodyjacob.com Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved seeing these costumes. And how they were created! I am in complete awe of the tailors and dressmakers from pre-industrial era clothing. All sewn by hand! Of course some of these costumes probably included a seam or two with a machine! I never tried my hand at designing clothing for my dolls, which were mainly horses when I became a teen. But I did put together several outfits for myself once I learned the basics of sewing on my own machine. They were pretty sad actually (but practical anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fascinating seeing all of the sketches done for the show. I haven't seen the show but like Suranne Jones a lot since first seeing her on Coronation Street.

    ReplyDelete