Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 12 April 2024

Colour celebrated


The 'Colours Uncovered' exhibition at Harewood House has some contemporary pieces as well as looking at items from the Harewood collection. I was most taken by these three wonderful handwoven pieces, 'Memory Garden', by Cecilia Charlton. She is an American artist and was inspired by the flowers found in British gardens. I don't know much about textiles or weaving but these seemed to me to be very complex pieces and I loved the skilful combinations of subtle colours and intricate patterns. 




There were three fascinating paintings by the British artist James Hugonin, who creates works composed of individual coloured marks across a grid, systematically planned so they are not simply random placings.


I'm afraid I neglected to note the creator of the series of four panels below. I did, however like them for their boldness, clarity and lyrical use of colour. 


The older I get the more I realise I love colour and I'm resolved to use more of it in my new flat, since I have the luxury of completely redecorating it. It's a fairly modern, almost boxy space, very different in feel and scale from my previous Edwardian terrace. It's going to be fun. 

2 comments:

  1. Loved those first panels...so intricate and colors of spring too! Yes, good to think in colors for your new abode!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those weavings are stunning. Weavers work so hard and long to create pieces.

    ReplyDelete