Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 8 April 2024

A shopping trip enhanced


From my new flat, it is still a comfortable walk to the centre of Shipley and to the Asda supermarket, a little further than from my old place but not unreasonably so. That's good news for my health, and I try to walk unless I am getting so much stuff that I can't carry it easily. It's a whole new route to explore and there are signs of spring to enjoy on the way. The magnificent magnolia tree is only surpassed by that amazing tower on the corner of the large Victorian house. What lengths the architects went to in those days to signify wealth and status. 

Just opposite stands Shipley Parish church, with a riot of daffodils in front of the Easter crosses. Part of me wishes they would clean the stone of the church. It remains soot-blackened from the days of smoking fires and mill chimneys, lending the church, which is actually a rather fine building, a gloomy and somewhat menacing air. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, the church sure could use a bit of cleaning. Loving the blooms along your walk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely "drama" in that image though, with the church and crosses and daffodils...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these shots but especially the daffodils in the 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason we like living in the mill apt is that it affords us the chance to walk to so many places downtown, even if most are not as scenic as your area.

    ReplyDelete