Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 27 June 2022

The Bog Garden


Northumberland break 13

Wandering round Howick Hall Gardens, I arrived at this attractive pond - the Bog Garden - surrounded by luxuriant planting. It really was rather lovely. I was tempted just to sit and contemplate it all from one of the seats but there was so much else I wanted to see in the day that I didn't dally. 



I didn't recognise some of the plants, though there were bulbous yellow blooms that were possibly Trollius - the globe flower - and mauve lupins. Lots of flag iris too, both yellow and purple. They were one of my mum's favourites. 
 


There was also an area of garden set aside as a sensory garden for those with autism. It had lots of texture, interesting objects and shapes, different surfaces and colour, all carefully curated, I understand, to offer a safe and stimulating environment for neurodiverse people,  There were some discreet signs asking people to leave things exactly as you found them, since predictability of surroundings can apparently be important. I was really impressed with Howick Hall Gardens; if you're ever in Northumberland I recommend a visit. 

6 comments:

  1. Howick Hall Gardens are so beautiful! A dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the second mention I've encountered, in the first hour of my day, of neurodiversity! The other was that Microsoft was offering jobs for those with differently arranged brains!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That bog garden is gorgeous. And the whole experience must be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely garden, Jenny, and kudos for those who set aside a certain part of it as a safe haven for those with autism.

    ReplyDelete