Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 11 June 2022

Express construction


I'm posting this as a record for myself rather than because it's of real interest to anyone else. Just another new building being erected. It's the third phase of work on the site on Saltaire Road that is going to be a Tesco Express supermarket. Phase one was site clearance, demolishing the old garage that was there and removing fuel tanks (I think) from the forecourt. Phase two involved huge pile-drivers forcing steel bars into the rock - thump, thump for hours every day! I'm sure the neighbouring primary school teachers and children must be glad that is over. The concrete base has been poured, the frame erected and now the brickies are in, building the breeze block external walls. Not that much was happening when I walked past... Funny how one rarely sees anyone actually doing anything in building sites and roadworks!

I suppose, at some future stage, having a good convenience store nearby may be quite helpful for me. It's a three minute walk rather than the fifteen minutes to Asda, Aldi, Lidl or the Co-op. According to consumer research however, it would most likely cost me between £200 and £300 a year more to shop at Tesco Express all the time rather than at a regular Tesco. Since I generally shop at the cheaper supermarkets the price difference would be even greater. Not to mention that the corner shops that stock milk and such like will no doubt suffer and may even go out of business. It could be useful if I run out of fresh veg and fruit though, which the corner shops don't stock. 

5 comments:

  1. We have a OneStop shop in the village, which is just another name for Tesco. Handy for getting bread and milk when I run out, but more expensive than the supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit to confusion in the title...expecting the post to be about expressly done construction, rather than construction of an Express store. Ha, jokes on me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The small stores seem to always be more expensive here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am occasionally documenting a work site here as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many years ago when a highly competitive spartan Tesco first entered the market the sarcastic competition nicknamed them "a vendor's stall with a roof". Seemingly now they don't even have a roof!

    ReplyDelete