Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 8 June 2022

Heptonstall

Heptonstall is a small but ancient village, perched high on a hill overlooking Hebden Bridge. Some of its buildings date back to the 1700s. It was a centre for handloom weaving and many of the houses have the characteristic rows of mullioned windows on the first floor that let maximum light in for the looms. (Note those in my last photo.) Such windows must have been much needed! I don't think I've ever visited Heptonstall when it has been other than dull, damp and dreary. It's certainly atmospheric, and many of the buildings are still soot-blackened from the pollution of the 19th and early 20th centuries.   

It is one of few places in the UK with two churches in one churchyard. The earlier church, dedicated to St Thomas Becket, was badly damaged in a storm in 1847 and remains a ruin. A new one, St Thomas the Apostle, was built in the mid 1800s beside it. 


There's another quite well-known church - the octagonal Methodist chapel, opened in 1764. It is said to be the oldest Methodist Chapel in the world in continuous use. Its foundation stone was laid by the theologian and preacher John Wesley, who preached there many times.  It was closed when I visited this time but I seem to recall it's quite interesting inside. The views from the churchyard are far-reaching and bleakly beautiful.




I took these photos ages ago but haven't had chance to post them. I'm currently working through some pics from my recent holiday, so I will show some of those as soon as I've finished processing them. 

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful--even with the atmospheric atmosphere. Wonderful buildings!
    And I love that you caught a bird flying by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bleak but beautiful is a perfect description of this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these lovely photos. My ancestors left Heptonstall in 1854 for Australia, several families of Sutcliffe, greenwood and Pickles and continued in the Methodist tradition. I had always assumed they would have worked in a mill, but your mention of home looms makes sense. They tried gold mining, shopkeeping and later farming so the gloom was left behind. I do enjoy your blog but am not normally a commenter. Liz McD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the kind of landscape I'd expect to produce such a grim fellow as Ted Hughes.

    ReplyDelete