Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 18 June 2022

Ambling

Northumberland break 4

A little further down the coast from Alnmouth, at the mouth of the River Coquet and more or less directly opposite Coquet Island, is the small port of Amble. I ambled around there quite happily for an hour or so, exploring the harbour area. The tide was coming in (remarkably fast!) and clearly the tidal channel was deep enough for boats to leave, as I watched a little fishing boat glide past. 
 

There's a rickety old pier that encloses a small beach area, and a harbour wall with a little lighthouse. There's an old quayside, and a newer marina situated slightly up river in the estuary. The port once exported a certain amount of coal but was never the size of some of the ports nearer to Newcastle. 



If you want 20 seconds of zen-like peace watching the tidal flow, please see my (inexpert) video. 



6 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to watch how tides change, or just how water flows anywhere. Mesmerizing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All so beautiful. And I love watching the tide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only went to Amble once in all my visits to Alnmouth - that was in the year of the Foot and Mouth epidemic, which curtailed many of our usual walks. Great shot of the fishing boat making its way out to sea; I'm sure I'd have been almost falling into the harbour, trying to exclude the clutter in the foreground - though of course it's the ropes and lobster pots that give context to the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an area I have never heard about. Of course I have never been further north than York.

    ReplyDelete