Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 3 January 2022

Skipton stronghold


Not only am I fortunate to live so close to beautiful natural scenery, I'm also blessed with places to visit when the weather is chilly and inclement. Just such a day found me exploring Skipton Castle. I've lost count of the number of times I've been but each time I am pleasantly surprised again by how fascinating it is. It's astonishingly old: 932 years to be precise! It was built by a Norman baron, Robert de Romille, originally as a motte and bailey castle made of wood on an earthen foundation. It was rebuilt in stone, the better to withstand attacks from the Scots to the North and, standing as it does on a steep cliff that drops down behind it to Ellar Beck, it is in a good defensive position. 

During the English Civil War it was the only Royalist stronghold in the North of England and withstood a three year siege by Cromwell's troops, after which in 1645 a surrender was negotiated. For over 300 years from 1310 it was the property of the Clifford family. After the Civil War, it was repaired and cared for by Lady Anne Clifford and thanks to her efforts we still have it - roofed and remarkably intact - to enjoy today. 

I didn't actually take many photos on this visit but I quite like the mono conversions on these three. The view above shows Lady Anne's steps, added after the Civil War to replace the original drawbridge, and two of the six huge drum towers, whose thick walls were partly what enabled the castle to withstand siege. 


The details from the interior courtyard are a drainpipe dated 1659 (made of lead, I think) and a simple but effective decoration around a door. 

 

5 comments:

  1. I love this old architecture, and that doorway captivates me. It does have depth (of the wall I imagine) and then the little detail that mimics the opening again...and does serve in one way, to make rain go down the wall to the side, but not very much. But there's also the suggestion of a fleur d lis, which is really strange in that place! Thanks for visiting the castle again...and finding interesting views to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think of all the lives which have been lived here over 900 years, their sorrows and joys. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive castle! I love the close up details.

    ReplyDelete