Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 18 January 2022

Addingham church


I had a ramble along the riverside from Ilkley to Addingham just before Christmas. It was a very dull and murky day, not good for taking photos, even though I always try to salvage at least one every time I go out. (Gotta feed the blog!) I happened across this rather lovely glimpse of Addingham St Peter's Church, framed by the view through an extremely beautifully laid out garden. The equally beautiful late Georgian house (out of picture, right, now worth a cool £3m+) is the old Rectory. I reckon the early C19 was the time to be a vicar, when you could enjoy a large country house with your own short private footpath to the church, scurrying over a tiny bridge across the stream as you hurried to take the Sunday morning service. 

The photo was in colour but I reckon a mono conversion does it more justice. Bit of a 'marmite' shot perhaps... 

3 comments:

  1. If that's Marmite I'll have some more, please.
    At that time vicars were often the younger sons of the Lord of the Manor, the eldest being brought up to take over the estate, then others became army officers, politicians, lawyers and finally churchmen. Thus influence was secured in all realms of power.

    ReplyDelete