Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 21 January 2022

Craftsmanship

  
Whilst in Halifax we slipped into the Minster church, which is a wonderful mix of dark and light, old and quite innovatory. The outside is still soot-blackened and the inside is dark, with dark stone and dark wood: it has history in abundance, dating back about 900 years, and yet it's clearly still a vibrant, contemporary, worshipping community with a real concern for their wider community. The welcome from the volunteers staffing the church is always warm and appropriate. Furthermore, every time I visit there is something new to see. They have recently revamped a small side chapel, made welcoming with colourful textiles, books, cushions and helpful resources. It is intended as a quiet and safe space for private prayer and is particularly designed for anyone with mental health challenges. 

It contains a set of banners (above) representing the four seasons, which I thought were really beautiful.  

The Minster has some lovely stained glass but on this visit I was drawn to the plainer windows, installed during the Puritan Commonwealth period in the 1600s, which look like clear glass arranged in a complex pattern and, on close inspection (and with a little boost in my photo software), reveal some soft and subtle colourations. 

For a more regular view of the Minster, have a look HERE at a post I wrote on my previous visit. 



5 comments:

  1. I share your enthusiasm for the banners; they should be selling prints of them. I've seen subtly coloured glass like that somewhere on y travels too and thought it rather attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those banners evoke feelings...emotions that have a bit of a catch in my throat, maybe a sob from deep within. I also love the subtle tints of the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought those banners were stained glass at first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful banners and I really love the (just barely) stained glass.

    ReplyDelete