Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 13 January 2022

Along the Backs

The riverside path along The Backs in Cambridge affords perhaps the most famous view of King's College Chapel, flanked by Clare College on the left and the Gibbs Building on the right. The view from King's College Bridge (although currently rather spoiled by a huge yellow crane) is lovely and it's a great place to watch the iconic punts gliding up and down. 

The meadow in front of the Chapel has recently been allowed to grow as a wildflower meadow and there were still traces of poppies and cornflowers on the edge. I follow a page on Facebook by Martin Bond, who posts a wonderful photo every day of Cambridge. Have a look HERE to see them harvesting the meadow using traditional methods with heavy horses - wonderful!


Looking the other way from the bridge, there are more buildings belonging to Kings, and in the distance perhaps the most famous of Cambridge's bridges, the Mathematical Bridge. 

The unique bridge known as the Mathematical Bridge is a wooden footbridge spanning the River Cam. It links two parts of Queens' College. Its real name is Queens' Bridge but it's thought the unusual and intricate geometrical design gave rise to its nickname. 


6 comments:

  1. It still amazes me that punts now operate all year round; it used to be strictly a summer activity. My friends and I, who had a punt of our own, used to have the river to ourselves for a big part of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled by these beautiful views, excellent lighting and such historic buildings! I did go look at the Cambridge Diary shots too, since I was enjoying yours so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous shots. I'm off to check out the link you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited my brother who studied medicine at Clare. The whole building lay in darkness, it was 2AM. I saw one lighted window and thought, that's him. And it was. He recently received a knighthood. I am so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete