Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 24 January 2022

Feeding the birds


As I walked along the canal towpath towards Hirst Lock, I wondered why the gulls were wheeling about in such a frenzy. When I got closer, I saw that there was a gentleman sitting on the wall throwing bread for them. Black-headed gulls are scavengers and will eat anything, so I don't think he was doing them any harm. They aren't 'seagulls', since they live all over the UK, inland as well as at the coast. And in winter they don't have black heads either! If you look closely you may also spot the goosander on the canal. I think that just happened to be there, and wasn't really joining in the party. They eat fish, not bread. I felt a bit sad for the man, I don't know why really. I suspect someone has to be a little lonely to sit by the canal with only the gulls for company.

3 comments:

  1. There are a lot of older people here who feed the birds like that. You are right - they are probably lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are times when the anti social part of me thinks animals are better company than people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. Mind reading. I love it. Can come up with many scenarios about the bird feeder.
    For example, he is retired with his wife who nags him badly, and he has escaped with it's time to feed the birds! Or he is still actually employed, and has run away on his coffee break. Or...feeding the birds is an excuse while he waits for his lover. Or, maybe he enjoys this and is not lonely. Or maybe he is lonely, and hopes to meet a lover.
    A snapshot in time. And we can all attribute motives to the action. So good photo!!

    ReplyDelete