Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 25 January 2022

Bright sparks

Mid-January, I enjoyed another wander around the gardens at RHS Harlow Carr, definitely one of my 'happy places'. There was little in bloom yet, though bulbs are starting to push shoots up through the leaf litter and there were a handful of snowdrops in flower. There will be much more to see in a month or so. With the low winter sun catching the branches of shrubs, what I did find myself noticing was the abundance of colour that reminded me of fireworks. 

The winter blossom above is witch hazel (hamamelis) which has a rich, honeyed scent that smells rather divine. There are dogwoods - red, orange, yellow:


Some honesty seed pods among the dogwood stems made an attractive combination. 

Birches and curly willows spray out their branches like those silver and golden rain fireworks I remember from my youth. 


 

3 comments: