Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 3 October 2024

Top of the world


If I walk up the hill to Northcliffe Park, rather than down the hill to Saltaire and Roberts Park, it's like being in a different world. In the top meadow, there are rolling grasslands and big wide skies. Walking in an easterly direction there are far-reaching views across the valley. There is more newly-installed gym equipment here. I wonder if anyone ever uses it? 


I stuck to the main path rather than descending through the wooded ravine. This was a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that the trees were very definitely starting to turn autumnal and, where there were wild roses, there are now bright rosehips. (Which reminded me that as a child we used to be given 'rosehip syrup', which I loved. I wonder if you can still buy it? I think it's a bit of a chore to make, needing straining carefully.) 


5 comments:

  1. I love rosehips! For me, they are iconic messengers of autumn. Here in South Germany, a rosehip jam can be bought on the farmers‘ market in town. We always had it on buttered bread when I was a kid, but nowadays I prefer it with cheese. It is tangy and sweet at the same time and said to be super rich in vitamin C.
    Love the wide open skies over the grassland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely view!

    Did the rosehips taste like...roses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really think so, though it's a long time since I tasted the syrup.

      Delete
  3. Lovely views and different shaped rose hips than the ones I see, which are rather round like tiny bulbs.

    ReplyDelete