Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 23 October 2024

Notes from an autumn walk


The weather has been changeable and unpredictable - dull, damp and dismal one day followed by bright, warm sunshine the next. It's playing havoc with my inner thermostat and I never know what to wear! On the bright days it seems criminal to stay in so, even if I have things that must be done, I try to have a short local walk. 

I found out that my favourite route - along the canal towpath to Dowley Gap and then back along the riverbank - is to be closed from now until the end of the year to allow them to upgrade and resurface the towpath (as they have already done on the section from Shipley to Saltaire). The riverbank has to be closed too, because there is no access at the far end if the towpath is closed. That means I shall have to find alternative walking routes - and it seemed to require a farewell walk before the closure. 

In the end I didn't take any photos along most of the route, but the (newly elongated and smoothed) weir was in full flow and so I stopped to look at that. (The alteration is supposed to allow fish to travel upriver more easily.) Then I stopped to admire the autumn colours on the nature reserve and in Roberts Park. Every time I take a local walk, I'm glad to live here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment