Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 9 October 2024

An old friend



I found myself unexpectedly renewing acquaintanceship with an old friend when I visited Cartwright Hall, the municipal art gallery, recently. This statue (I am 99% sure; if not, one very similar) was the one that graced the entrance lobby of Wingfield, the Council's Training Centre in Bingley where I used to work forty plus years ago. (See HERE) So I used to pass it every day, occasionally pausing to pat the goat and say hello to the pair of them. I didn't know anything about it at that time. It wasn't labelled then. Interestingly, it was sculpted by Thomas Milnes, who created the four lions in the centre of Saltaire. (It should be Milnes with an 's'; the gallery's label is incorrect!) It's probably quite valuable now. It must have been 'on loan' to our department to help create the right ambience in what was once a very elegant mansion house. (It's now a nursing home.) 

1 comment: