Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 12 October 2024

Season of mists


It was Keats who wrote that lovely poem about autumn that begins: 'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness'. Mist, of course, needs a still day and we don't seem to get that many lately. However, when I opened the curtains one morning recently, there was a fairly dense fog outside, thickening down towards the valley bottom. I dressed and had breakfast and decided I'd venture out, though by the time I'd walked the half mile down to the river, the sun was beginning to burn off the mist. It was still beautiful and atmospheric.

It was rather earlier in the day than I usually walk that way, so the bird life was more evident. I watched a cormorant diving - they swim so far underwater that you begin to think they've completely disappeared. I also spotted a little egret... not the bird in the photo above. I think that was a gull of some kind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment