Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 30 May 2023

York Gate flora


At around one acre, York Gate Garden is small compared to many gardens that are open to the public, but therein lies its charm. It feels intimate and, wandering through the various 'rooms' that interconnect, pleasing little vistas open up. Somehow too, you feel closer to the planting itself than you do at, say, Harlow Carr, which is vastly bigger. York Gate offers a wholly different experience. 

The view above is shot through a window in the potting shed, and shows just one of the several 'sculptural' focal points that are cleverly woven into the garden. On a different scale, a collection of potted plants on a wall offers colour and texture. 


I liked the little hanging bells of blossom on the tree/shrub below.  I had no idea what the tree was but I have since identified it as Enkianthus Campanulatus, native to Asia. 


The front wall of the house has an old wisteria with wonderfully twisted stems, which just happened to be in full bloom when I visited. The scent is heavenly. 


Magnolia seems to have lasted well this year. I'm sure it doesn't usually bloom at the same time as the rhododendrons. 



I have some of these (below) in my garden - astrantia. (At least I think that's what this is.) Mine are pale in colour but I liked this deep red. 


It must be peak season for alliums. These tall purple globes add interest to the borders: 
 

3 comments:

  1. That first photo is great, with the window framing the other garden's feature! Loved seeing the Rhodos (a bit different than our wild ones) as well as Magnolia. Beauty abounds even in small spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first shot is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete