Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 20 May 2023

Quirkiness

Over the course of a few months, I tend to amass small collections of random images that don't really fit anywhere but nevertheless impressed me with their quirkiness. Here are a few. 

The creature above was on the wall outside Bradford Industrial Museum. Is it a horse? Is it a mermaid? Who knows. (We'll refrain, if you like, from mentioning his malfunctioning digestive system..) 

The horse below was outside Nidderdale Museum - possibly slightly easier to understand as a playground or fairground ride. Looks a bit fierce! Giddy up! 

Again at the Industrial Museum, I took a few photos of old signs for my online club monthly theme: 

Inside I found this, a relic of when our mills were still hiring. Even now, the job roles seem like another language. "My dad was a mule spinner" doesn't make much sense even today, just a few years after most of the mills closed. 


The juxtaposition of these signs amused me: 'Disappearing creatures... No return within 1 hour'.  (In fact the embroidery was one of a small series of banners referencing climate change.) 


Maybe the disappearing creatures are doing a runner... 'Slow down'! Road signs also provided me with some amusement on my travels this month. 



How about a happy little lichen fellow, blowing smoke rings? 

And a big thumbs up to the owner of this vehicle, making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, as they say. 

6 comments:

  1. A fine collection of daft details - I love every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun! Keep recording these oddities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post. Aqua-horse seemed to have no mythological link in my mind. But there must be a story somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them all especially that selection of old advertising signs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first photo shows what is supposed to be the Capricorn sing in the zodiac.

    ReplyDelete