Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 6 May 2023

The Coronation of TRH King Charles III and Queen Camilla

So, today - 6th May 2023 - is the day our new king, Charles III, is to be crowned (NOT coronated!! Pleeease...). 

I felt I should at least do a royal-themed blogpost but I've struggled to find images. It seems Saltaire is not particularly given to Royalist fervour, though I have a feeling there would have been more excitement in past times at a Coronation. I found a bit of bunting hung on a shrub and some flags in a few shops, that's all - not even a crocheted crown post box topper. 

It is, technically, the second Coronation I've lived through, though I don't recall the first one. I was not quite one year old at the time but I have a photo of me wearing a Union Jack hat. I suppose there's some chance I may see a third Coronation, since Charles is older than I but he comes from long-lived stock and I don't! So who knows what to expect... 


There are, of course, people in the UK with opinions across the whole spectrum from fervently pro-monarchy to fervently republican. I'm somewhere in the middle, nearer the pro-monarchy end if I'm really honest. I'm quite glad to live in a constitutional monarchy as the alternatives seem worse, but I'm not that bothered with all the fuss either. I shall watch some of the TV coverage; it's history being made, after all. 

Anyway, who can resist a lamb with a crown on? (Spotted in a restaurant window in Masham.)  



In the rain, a few lengths of bunting strung around Shipley market place did little to dispel the current economic gloom. There was hardly anyone about. 






2 comments:

  1. Good shots! I agree with you about constitutional monarchy as being the better alternative, especially after having had seen the alternative south of the border here of four years of an inept grifter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be little attention paid to it here other than on tv & radio.

    ReplyDelete