Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 22 May 2023

Staveley Nature Reserve

During the summer, my camera club has a series of outings, where club members can meet up and enjoy taking photos in a variety of locations.  It's a sociable thing and a good way of being introduced to new places to explore. One recent trip was to Staveley Nature Reserve, near Boroughbridge, managed by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. It's about an hour's drive for me and I set off a few minutes later than I should really have done. Then I got stuck in a huge traffic jam in Knaresborough and so I arrived a good half hour after the meeting time. I never did meet up with the majority of the group! 

It's a large site with several fens and lagoons formed from flooded gravel pits, as well as meadow and woodland. I forgot my binoculars (!) and I don't have a long lens, so my sightings of wildlife were few, though there were wildflowers to enjoy. I took a long walk around the lakes, luckily dodging the rain, and very much enjoyed the peace and the views. 

The site is on the edge of the village of Staveley and the Victorian spire of All Saints Church can be glimpsed through the trees. 


There are several hides but at this time of year there are few ducks and apparently not a lot to see (especially without binoculars 👎 ) so I didn't linger inside. Instead I enjoyed the spectacular skies, promising rain that didn't start until I was driving back home.   



 Those aren't boats, they are platforms to attract nesting terns. 

3 comments:

  1. Just the sort of reserves we have in abundance around here - harder to photograph than they look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to walk around and see such stunning clouds!

    ReplyDelete