Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 4 August 2022

Turner's View


I know Blogger prefers images in a landscape format, but this view demands to be taken in 'portrait' format. It is on the Bolton Abbey estate, high above the River Wharfe, looking north towards Barden Tower. It's a view that the famous painter JMW Turner painted several times, as he visited friends in this area. (Though, in truth, his painting - see HERE - doesn't look very much like my photo!) With the naked eye you can just about see Barden Tower among the trees in the distance, but it doesn't show up on my photo as it was in the shade. Lovely view, nonetheless....

It is just one of many scenes across Yorkshire and Cumbria called 'Turner's View', since Turner visited often and produced lots of sketches, watercolours and paintings at numerous locations. 

And talking of 'landscape v portrait' put me in mind of a silly cartoon that makes me laugh: 



6 comments:

  1. Oh, that's gorgeous! That grey/green contrast again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous shot. I like the cartoon too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is in deed an artistic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a laugh out of that toon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, the fun thing about painting is that you can compress what the eye sees, without too much loss of accuracy....and also pretend you are a drone. Turner must have had a good time with this one. Wharfe is a beautiful river. (Geez. I hope I haven't posted this twice.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The image looked good in portrait mood and the cartoon was funny. Actually, I didn't know that blogger had a specific preference.

    ReplyDelete