Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 17 August 2021

Treasure in the woods

Since my short holiday, it has been a joy to revisit my favourite local haunts, especially Hirst Woods. I'm so familiar with it and yet there is always something new to see - the way the light falls through the leaf canopy, the gnarled old tree trunks: 

Acting on a 'tip-off', my friend and I rooted through the undergrowth to uncover this carved rock, crudely engraved with the name Olive Howarth and what seems to be a bluebell. I am not sure what it is or who inscribed it. I think it might be quite old though there is no date on it. It was well covered with moss. I assume it may be a memorial to someone who died, someone who loved these woods perhaps. 

We also came across this strange creature, asleep on a log: 

3 comments: