Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 15 August 2021

Meadows and hedgerows

Yorkshire holiday 16

By the last full day of my holiday, I was so much into the spirit of relaxing that I didn't wake up until 9 am! By that time it was far too late to contemplate driving to the coast and finding a parking space at one of the tourist spots, so I decided to explore the lanes and footpaths of the Esk valley, around my guesthouse. By the time I set off, the sun was high in the sky and it was really, really humid, so that I was soon a hot, sweaty mess! Nevertheless I enjoyed the walk and the interesting little things I encountered on the way: ancient footpaths -

Hedgerows bright with flowers; the one below is Great willowherb, I think.  

I find it hard to separate out the various umbellifers, members of the carrot family - cow parsley, hedge parsley, so many of them, all roughly similar to the untrained eye. This tall one was an interesting shape from below, against the blue sky. 

I'm pretty sure this one is Meadowsweet. It was used as a strewing herb, a fragrant plant that used to be scattered over the floors of dwellings to sweeten the air, and also as a remedy for digestive disorders. 

I was happily surprised to see a llama, pretending to be a sheep. It wouldn't look out of place among the alpacas of Saltaire, though llamas are bigger, with longer ears and longer faces. 


5 comments:

  1. Some lovely quiet scenes there. Quite often I've found that places just a short way from the honeypot destinations have a gentle charm of their own and are well worth investigating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers...and a llama! He's so cute just lying there with the sheep. Glad to know about Meadowsweet, however I don't think I've ever seen it growing here, (which doesn't mean much these days!) I'm sort of isolating between virus and heat, and now rain forecast for 5 days. At least right now it's dry and cool out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The humidity here is really getting to me so I am impressed that you went so far on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shots, especially the cow (or whatever) parsley.

    ReplyDelete