Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 8 August 2021

The Cleveland Way

Yorkshire holiday 9 

My original intention had been to walk a stretch of the Cleveland Way coastal path from Staithes south to Port Mulgrave and perhaps even as far as Runswick Bay. There is a coastal bus that means a linear walk, returning by bus, is possible. It was, as I've said, far too hot for that. I did climb the steep path from Staithes onto the cliff top seeking some breeze but even up there it was hot, with not a breath of wind. The views from higher up are lovely though, and I spent some time just sitting watching the sea and the boats.


It's not often that the North Sea looks as turquoise and tropical as this! 


The little red boat was, I think, the same trip boat that I saw in the harbour. 


The cliffs along this stretch of coast are notoriously unstable and there are frequent landslips and rockfalls. There are signs along the beaches and cliff top reminding people of the danger and urging folk to stay clear. People don't seem to heed such warnings.  A young girl was tragically killed by a falling boulder on Staithes beach a couple of years ago and there have been rockfalls since. It all looks so beautiful on such a lovely day but there are many dangers on the cliffs and sea. 


8 comments:

  1. I love that first shot looking down on the rooftops of the village. It always amazes me that when I go to Hunstanton to see families having picnics on the rockfalls from the cliffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost feel I've been on holiday with you. I love the way the houses of the village seem to tumble down the slope to the water

    ReplyDelete
  3. The village is indeed lovely to look at. And I'm glad you got some shots from safe places on the cliffs. Sorry the weather was so hot...but at least the sunshine gave you clear photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see a different area on your blog. I don't like heights, so I would be staying far from the edges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this trip....as I'm writing from Texas, it's hard to imagine it's hot there....so much water! But it's getting warmer everywhere apparently, so I am glad you braved it to hike up....with no bad results for you I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The views are wonderful from up there. You did well to climb up there. Sad that it was too hot to do the walk. WE loved a little place called Robin Hoods Bay when we were travelling in that area.

    ReplyDelete