Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 30 August 2021

Wonderful Upper Wharfedale

I revisited Upper Wharfedale recently, to enjoy one of my favourite walks round the head of the dale. It starts off with a rather challenging steep trudge from Buckden car park, through Rakes Wood and around the flank of Buckden Pike. It's apparently a Roman road. Those Romans must have had strong legs! Glorious views from part way up, looking across Wharfedale and along Langstrothdale (and taking a photo gave me chance to catch my breath!) By this stage of summer, much of the foliage is a rather uniform dull, dark green but nevertheless it is a wonderful view. 

There is a tricky-to-spot sharp left turn down to the hamlet of Cray. I've missed it in the past and ended up walking too far, up to the bridge. Found it this time but when I saw the signpost I realised why I've not noticed the turn off in the past! 

From there you drop down steeply to the stream in Cray Gill. This is limestone country and in dry weather these streams disappear almost completely underground - so the stepping stones were rendered rather superfluous. 

Then it's a gentle pull up to the edge above the woodland, where there is a fairly good and level path round the head of the valley and along into Langstrothdale. Sublime views, looking back down Upper Wharfedale towards Kettlewell, even though the light wasn't the best by this stage. It had forecast rain showers but I was very lucky and got back to the car in Buckden just as the raindrops started! 


 

5 comments:

  1. I remember doing that walk, but I'm not saying whether I missed the path down to Cray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great vistas...so lovely and well managed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think how much toil has been invested by farmers in this wonderful valley over the centuries. James Herriot gave us an insight of how hard a farmer's family must work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first shot is quite dramatic.

    ReplyDelete