Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 26 August 2021

Gaia

On a whim, I set off for Wakefield to see the Festival of the Earth: Gaia exhibition in Wakefield Cathedral. (It is only on for ten days, ending on 30 August.) This is a seven metre replica of Earth, created by the artist Luke Jerram from detailed NASA images. Illuminated from the inside, it appears to float in the nave, slowly turning to reveal the continents and the vast expanses of ocean. It helps you to realise that almost half of the globe is effectively free of land masses (below). Pretty awesome to see. 


I went to Wakefield by train as it is not a very nice drive really and the train is arguably cheaper and quicker (except it wasn't, as there was a broken-down train holding things up). Leeds station, where I had to change, was really busy and I was surprised at how few people were now wearing face masks, even though they are recommended (but no longer mandatory) on public transport. The 16-30 age group in particular seem to have decided they don't need them. I wore one for the whole trip but I must say I didn't feel all that comfortable to be 'out and about' again, especially since we know the Covid infection rate is rising again and currently averaging around 27000 new cases a day in the UK. 

Our familiar and beautiful world certainly feels a lot less familiar and a lot less beautiful these days, at so many levels. I do wish we were taking care of it and all its inhabitants better. 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful exhibit
    It is sad after being told the behavior spreads covid, some people still go unmasked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On 12 April 1975 I made my very first trip to sea. It took our good ship 3 weeks to cross the Pacific from Puget Sound, Canada to Japan. I was tremendously impressed. I thought, this wonderful Pacific Ocean is simply vast, wonderful, it seems to go on for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks incredible especially in that setting!
    I seem to have a mask in every purse and pocket and we have to wear them inside buildings and buses, trains, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful globe/gaia! And you had a challenge to get there to see it apparently. I feel for you being in a minority wearing masks. Similar things happening all over. I'm soon going to post the list of our congressmen/women who've had COVID and how many of them had already been vaccinated. So though I have had my booster shot, I'm wearing the D***mn Mask!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so beautiful. I'm staying masked and, except for the grocery and seeing a few vaccinated friends, am staying home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful setting for it. He also has a Gaia here at our Nature Museum.

    ReplyDelete