Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 3 August 2021

North Yorkshire Moors Railway


Yorkshire holiday 4

I was walking down the steep hill towards Goathland Station when I heard the unmistakeable sound of a steam train coming. I had to run to catch the view of it arriving and I didn't have time to adjust my camera settings so they were a little too slow for a really sharp photo, which was annoying. However, I was lucky to get there at the right moment. 

The station is on the North Yorkshire Moors heritage line, and featured as Hogsmeade Station in the film of 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone'. It's therefore a very popular tourist spot - and it was heaving with people. I didn't have a train ride this time. One day I will. 


6 comments:

  1. If you want to avoid the people you can devise a walk along several parts of the line where you can get photos of the trains as they pass - at least there were few people around when I did it several years ago, maybe the Potter-people have discovered it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My visit to the National Railway Museum in York was sheer delight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky to see the steam engine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have become enamored with these British steam trains as they are inevitably included in most of the British mystery shows that I watch almost exclusively. One day I would hope to see one as you did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a steam train line here for many years, but it went under when a portion of its tracks got damaged by a landslide.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really a surprise that steam engines remained in regular service as long as they did. They consume lots and lots of expensive coal and water. Their mechanical efficiency is low. They are labour intensive to a high degree. Just warming through a cold boiler takes hours. The essential maintenance list would make a diesel operator blanche. Their ecology is a disaster. And yes, we love them. They are extra special!

    ReplyDelete