Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Sunday 28 February 2021

Sunday Meditation: Snowdrops


I've been looking out for snowdrops but I haven't found many locally yet. These were in Roberts Park. (It was only after I processed the image that I noticed someone has been doing a little 'gardening', cutting some of them at the front. Tsk, tsk!)  I used to work in an old mansion that had a large garden with an orchard. At this time of year the orchard was a mass of white snowdrops, very beautiful. The land was sold for development and the snowdrops will have been wiped out - rather sad, as they take a long time to spread so densely and prolifically. 

'Dead sleeps the winter, 
Cold, wet and grey; 
Surely all the world is dead;
Spring is far away.
Wait! The world shall waken;
It is not dead, for lo, 
The fair maids of February
Stand in the snow!'
Cicely Mary Barker

'See, the winter is past; the rains are over and gone. 
Flowers appear on the earth, the season of singing has come.'
  Song of Songs 2:11-12

6 comments:

  1. I used to play in a small wood which was full of bluebells....my magic wood no longer exists. All has been destroyed for housing development. And where my owl now lives, heaven alone knows....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song birds have appeared, asking where they should breed...but there are few places in my overly-landscaped complex of buildings. Some bushes remain, so there's possibility. I love hearing the songs every morning now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rabbit maybe munching. Lovely snowdrops

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snowdrops reminded me of daffodils which will not be seen here for many months, yet. The ones you showed here made me want winter to end and sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete