Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 25 February 2021

A glimmer of hope

My goodness, I have rarely looked forward to Spring with quite the fervour that I feel this year! Despite last year being more than averagely pleasant weather-wise, the winter has felt long and miserable, compounded by the lockdown and gloomy Covid statistics. It was with a great deal of pleasure, therefore, that I spotted these crocus pushing up through the leaf litter, just by the roadside at Cottingley Bar. 

Idly wondering, as I wrote this, why the area (the junction between the Shipley to Bingley road and the road up to Cottingley village) is called Cottingley Bar, I looked it up (as you do!) It turns out there was a toll bar here in times gone by, where road tolls were collected from travellers using the turnpike road from Bradford to Skipton. (See HERE). The Bar House was demolished in 1913. Fascinating, 


 

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if the crocuses remain from the garden of the toll-bar house??? I also find time dragging rather this year and have to keep reminding myself that it's only February. Even getting my jab the other day seemed like an enjoyable outing - though having a pretty young nurse ask if I was one of the under-60 cohort is bound to cheer up a poor old chap, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled that you found those beautiful little flowers! And shared them here. I keep going out, masking up (I tried 2 masks yesterday, but ugh, couldn't talk to people through them!) Indeed this has been a very long winter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting! Yay for spring flowers!
    Thank you, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wife of a friend said "You could pass for sixty! How old are you?" I answered, "I'm fifty-nine". Her face was a picture. "Oh!" Then I outed with the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so looking forward to seeing some spring flowers but it will be a few weeks at least for us before they appear.

    ReplyDelete