Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Noir


The whole 'Nordic Noir' thing had largely escaped me until I started to watch the Swedish/Danish crime drama "The Bridge" on TV during 2020. After spending the first two episodes of Series One feeling mildly bewildered and unsure, I soon got totally hooked and watched the entire four series, almost back to back. (It's easier that way; I don't lose the thread so much!) I ended up really rooting for Sofia Helin, playing Saga Norén, the lead detective throughout. Brilliant. My experience was further enhanced by reading the Guardian reviews of each episode, with their hilarious comment thread. There are some very clever and funny people around. 

Anyway, I don't know what that's got to do with this photo, except that many of the episodes took place in a lot of gloom, reminiscent of this shot of a window and street lamp in Saltaire. Another way of seeing, I suppose. 

6 comments:

  1. Have you watched 'Trapped'? It's Icelandic. The first season was better than the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I visited beautiful Sweden I climbed onto a water tower platform. It was surrounded by a massive steel cage. Apparently during the long dark winters some Swedes get so depressed they climb the high tower and leap off. How sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the Scandinavian shows I have watched have been quite bleak but so good! I have watched Trapped and it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do'nt think I've seen that series but I will look into it.

    ReplyDelete