Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 19 February 2021

I'd like to be here... #1


Our lockdown continues, so we have to stay at home except for essential journeys (work, food shopping, medical needs) or for daily exercise. Exercise must be local (people have been fined for travelling too far) and taken alone, with your own household members or with just one friend. It is (intentionally) quite limiting. Consequently, I don't feel justified in driving anywhere but I'm getting really rather fed up with the same old local walking routes, lovely though they are. Added to that, the weather has been uninspiring: cold, wet and dull. We had a little snow again recently but only enough to make everywhere slippery, not enough to make it pretty! 

The end result of all that is that I am running out of photos, inspiration and motivation. I considered having a short blog break (and I may do) but then I thought I could look back and enjoy my archive photos of some of the lovely places a little further afield that I would like to visit right now if I could. 

I'll start with this one: Bolton Abbey, on the banks of the River Wharfe, within the Yorkshire Dales National Park. It's a ruined Augustinian priory, set in a beautiful landscape that has belonged to the Dukes of Devonshire since 1755.  With acres of estate to enjoy - not only the ruins but also woodland, moorland and the river (with its stepping stones and, further upstream, the dramatic Strid gorge) - it really is a wonderful place. It gets terrifically busy, especially in summer, so best to enjoy it out of season if you can. 

8 comments:

  1. It really is a beautiful place - at least when it's not overrun with homo sapiens. I was feeling much the same as you till I went out the other day and found my local wood filled with Snowdrops. I don't really want to be able to go far, just twenty miles or so would do to open up some more possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a carer only leave my house twice per week for food. Stop jammering. You two have it good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images of a one the most beautiful places in Yorkshire. I've started to feel the same; I have been patient up until recently, but now it has become difficult when you are used to going out and about a lot. Hopefully things will become more normal very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Combing the archives for awhile may be the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely old ruins...reminding me of how England shook off the pope's control. But also of the England before which had built these beautiful old buildings. As to current circumstances...remember the virus has new strains, and many are now wearing 2 masks when in public. Stay safe a while longer, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking back through your old travels is a god idea! I'm getting bored with my local lanes and sidewalks too but we are in a 'stay at home' order here too. These are great shots, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many other bloggers are doing much the same now, Jenny, in posting photos of trips back when they could venture further. As many of the locales they are showing are new to me it has been an interesting travelogue from the comfort of my screen. The Augustinian priory you posted is indeed in a beautiful setting and I plan to follow the link provided to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful place to visit. I look forward to seeing you archive photos as well.

    ReplyDelete