Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Monday 8 February 2021

The Jesus hedge


In search of 'paths less travelled' locally, I found myself on a circuitous route that skirted the edge of the Windhill district of Shipley. Yes, it's on a hillside and yes, it's probably quite windy quite often around there but there was little breeze to bother me that day. One of the more deprived local parishes, it's not an area I know well, nor is it especially beautiful or photogenic but there's always something interesting to see, wherever I wander. 

I found this hedge, carefully trimmed to declare the name of Jesus to all passers-by. There are LED lights in the letters too, so it must be illuminated at night. Googling 'Jesus hedge Shipley' rather wonderfully turned up a couple of newspaper reports about it, though, confusingly, they each attributed it to a different person. Whoever dreamed up the idea and now maintains it, they aren't afraid to declare their faith. As a non-demonstrative Anglican, I can only applaud them. 

It reminded me that I saw - for the first time in years - a man walking through Shipley the other day wearing a billboard with a religious text on front and back. I didn't feel cheeky enough to take his photo, but again, could only applaud his boldness. I imagine such initiatives garner as much abuse as plaudits these days. 

3 comments:

  1. In our area (within a hundred miles anyway) huge crosses near highways seem to be the thing...and I mean a hundred feet tall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not the type of thing one finds here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be fine with that. Someone with a billboard I might find irritating, though.

    ReplyDelete