Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 6 February 2021

Sky replacement


My updated photo processing software now comes with a nifty 'sky replacement tool' - so I thought I'd try it. You have always, of course, been able in theory to import a new sky into a photo but it was a fiddly process, impossible unless there were clean lines to the sky space and it usually looked plain daft. This new tool is actually pretty impressive in the way it uses algorithms and sliders to blend in the new sky. There are a few 'skies' provided but it feels pretty important to me to build up your own portfolio of skies to use if you're serious about making use of the tool. 

Having said that, for this trial I used one of the supplied images. I think it has worked reasonably effectively. Of course, you also have somehow to blend in the foreground too and, with the reflections, that proved a little more tricky. The 'before' image is below, with a blank grey sky. The 'after' is above. It perhaps looks a little more interesting but I'm not convinced it looks entirely realistic. I don't think it's something I'll use a lot. I'm not keen on 'doctoring' my photos and pretending it's real, though I do enjoy creative manipulation of images where that is a deliberate and obvious process. I know a lot of people really like heavily filtered images these days, as seen on social media. Each to his own. I suspect the debate will rage and we may see many more images where we wonder how 'real' it is. 


 

4 comments:

  1. I certainly wouldn't have suspected that sky was not "real", though the second image does look noticeably sharper overall. The only editing that really gets on my nerves is when there's a mountain scene which is strongly side-lit and in the sky there's a rainbow, or else the full moon, when that can't happen in reality as the sun is always behind you when you see a rainbow or full moon. There, that's ruined a lot of images on 500px for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds a bit too advanced for my computer skills! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your assessment and also do not usually "doctor" photos, aside from changing the contrast. That said, I have done some photo manipulation to play with special effects from time to time. Can you post what software you are currently using, Jenny, as I am curious about that sky replacement feature. And I did not think the first photo looked unnatural and would not have supposed it had been changed from the original.

    ReplyDelete