Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 1 December 2020

Grazing heaven


I've mentioned before that Trench Meadows, an area between Saltaire and Shipley Glen, is a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). It is undeveloped lowland pasture, a nationally rare habitat. In order to keep it properly maintained so that the typical plants, such as Black Knapweed and Devil's Bit Scabious, continue to thrive, it has to be grazed periodically. I don't think cattle are loose in there all the time. I certainly don't remember noticing them when I walked through in the spring. (See HERE) I took that route again recently, and found it just about passable - it gets very muddy in wet weather, with tiny streams running off the hillside. There was a small herd of bullocks grazing, thankfully right over the other side away from the path. After I left the meadow, I walked round and took these pictures leaning over the boundary wall! I'm never that keen on walking through fields with cattle in them, though these looked peaceful enough.  

2 comments: