Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Saturday 12 December 2020

Advent windows

It's traditional in Saltaire that people decorate their windows with festive scenes during Advent. Usually one window is 'opened' every night from the 1st of December until Christmas. This year there will be many more than that, with a total of 55 to see by the end of Advent. I notice that there are other towns and villages taking up the idea too, in this country and internationally. I think people got enthused early in the year when we were making rainbows for the NHS and even more people have discovered their creativity and community spirit.

I don't suppose I shall find room for all the 55 (!) but I will ferret out the most photogenic, as I usually do, to share on my blog. I know people enjoy seeing them. Saltaire's URC church always manages a bold and clear design (created by Jenn).  This year there are angels (above) bringing 'glad tidings of great joy', despite a particularly difficult year for the church, who have had to contend not only with Covid but also storm damage to the church roof and ceiling inside. 

I don't think the windows at the Victoria Hall are illuminated at night but children at Saltaire Primary School have painted some snowy scenes for our enjoyment. 

The daily 'reveals' are posted on the Saltaire Living Advent Calendar Facebook page, so you can see them all there if you wish: https://www.facebook.com/saltaireadventcalendar/

 

8 comments:

  1. I've noticed a few villages around here doing similar things. I look forward to more from Saltaire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely windows. This series you post in December is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing them all month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that idea - gives the children a chance to show off their artwork

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen your annual collection of Saltaire's Advent windows for many years. I'm happy to see that they are still doing it despite the pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed some of your links, to learn more about the church and the David Hockney connection. That is a nice advent tradition, I like the angels high in the church window.

    ReplyDelete