Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Tuesday 20 October 2020

Mealbank quarry


Ingleton Waterfalls Trail: As the final stage of the trail meanders down into Ingleton village, there are lovely views back up to the fells. The route passes through a disused quarry, where until 1910 limestone used to be extracted. You can still see some of the workings, including a ruined Hoffman Kiln. The area is now an SSSI, managed as a nature reserve. 


The trail ends in Ingleton village and I should really have had a mooch round there and taken a few photos. I was, however, pretty exhausted by this stage. Five miles is an easy, comfortable distance for me usually but this had been a very strenuous five miles! I'd had enough... and I had to get back anyway as I had an appointment to get a flu jab, which feels a fairly important thing to do this year. 

I'm glad I managed it. As I said, the trail has been on my list to visit for some time. I probably won't do it again as I'm not getting any younger but I'm pleased to have achieved it. 


3 comments:

  1. I'd forgotten about the quarry area. Yes, I've noticed that the miles are getting longer every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had quite a workout but it was wonderful to see all of the things along the trail.

    ReplyDelete