Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Friday 9 October 2020

Wiki Loves Monuments

My daughter alerted me to a contest in September run by Wiki Loves Monuments. They were asking for high quality photos of historic buildings and monuments to complete Wikipedia's information pages. I use Wiki a lot so I thought it would be fun to do this. An international contest takes place every year, apparently, though I'd not heard of it before. I'm not fussed about winning prizes but when I saw on the map how many local places are without photos, I decided this could be a new hobby! (All the red tags are places of historic note, local to me, that lack a photo.)

One of them was Templar Cottage and Beckfoot Farmhouse, by the ford at Beckfoot Bridge. It so happened I was intending to walk that way, so I stopped to take photos. I have taken pictures there before. (See HERE for one that shows the bridge.) I debated whether to submit that image, as I like it, but there is already an image of the bridge uploaded (shown by a blue tag on the map). This time I wanted one that showed as much of the listed buildings as possible. They date back to the 1600s. For good measure, I snapped one of the templar lantern finials, that denote that the building once had links to the Knights Templar, and submitted that too.  


 

6 comments:

  1. That little lot should keep you occupied for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of those red tags will keep you very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice that you had an extra reason to go exploring, not that you have ever needed one, Jenny. One of these days I may participate in one of those as well.

    ReplyDelete