Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 7 October 2020

A sting in the tale

I had to drop something off for a friend, out towards Leeds-Bradford airport. It was such a sunny, warm day that it was a pity to waste it so I decided to drive a little further, to Otley Chevin Forest Park, and have a walk in the woods there. It's a sprawling area on the steep escarpment overlooking Otley and the Wharfe valley. Some of it is heathland and old woodland, managed as a nature reserve. Much of the lower slope is, I think, more recently planted forestry. It's pleasant, though every woodland seems to have its own character and I don't think much can match the feel of my usual patch, the ancient Hirst Woods, near Saltaire. Otley Chevin has a huge network of paths and bridleways so that I find it easy to get slightly lost! I made a note of the elephant sculpture on my way down from the car park and was somewhat relieved to see him again on my way back! 

Despite the warm sunshine, there was a definite hint of autumn; the darkened greens of the trees were beginning to show golden highlights, especially noticeable when backlit or when a shaft of light spotlit a particular tree.  

I was enjoying my stroll right up until some large flying insect collided with my face! It hit - hard! - the inner corner of my eye, with such a sharp sensation that I thought it (whatever it was) had stung me. I decided I'd best head back to the car and home, to assess the damage, mindful of the possibility of my eyelid starting to swell up. (When you're on your own, it behoves you to be sensible!) In the event, the pain abated and I couldn't detect any swelling, but I found I had rapidly fallen out of love with nature, albeit temporarily. Such adventures! 


 

4 comments:

  1. I recall that one day all the bus drivers went on strike, so I decided to ride from Horsforth to Otley Prince Henry's on my bike. The road from the Chevin is very steep, and refusing to brake I fairly flew down into Otley. How I survived the curve at the bottom I do not know. I got a detention for being late. This meant standing at the centre of the large Assembly Hall as the focal point for the choir practising the Messiah. Adoring classical music I felt they were all singing so beautifully just for me. True to Shakespeare's "schoolboy, with shining morning face" I often arrived late. If my French form master had realised how much joy his frequent detentions gave me, he would certainly have thought up something else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise woman - didn't put yourself at risk with your eye having been bombarded by an insect! Being on your own, it was a good decision to get back to the car. I'm glad it didn't apparently swell too badly. And you did try a new area! The elephant is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that last shot, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The elephant is quite unexpected.

    ReplyDelete