Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Wednesday 28 October 2020

Glorious autumn

Whilst English woodlands can be very attractive in autumn, they tend to lack the bright reds that give those 'wow' touches. Gardens and arboretums are a safer bet, with acers and colourful shrubs artfully arranged. With that in mind, I decided to visit the RHS gardens at Harlow Carr in mid-October. You now have to book an entry slot but of course you can't always predict the weather. Sure enough, I'd only been there about ten minutes when it started raining! 

I'd only been there about an hour when my camera battery gave up the ghost - and I discovered that the spare I had with me was also flat! Grr. So some of these are taken in the rain, some on my camera and some on my phone. If you can't tell which is which, I'll maybe stop lugging my big camera everywhere!



Some of the bridges over the streamside garden have been rebuilt, with rather lovely stonework. 

Even dying herbaceous plants can add colour. The collapsed leaves of 'whatever they were' (!) - possibly hostas - toned in beautifully with the acer in the background. 



 

9 comments:

  1. Your autumn photos of Harlow Carr are simply beautiful. May I borrow the top one for my personal album? Acers make a garden. Yes, I can tell the difference in picture intensity between your marvelous camera (3+4) and the i-phone. I once admire the Slazenger Garden in Eire.A local said, no wonder, it rains here three times a day! So it seems if we want a gorgeous display we must put up with some rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong way round, Peter! 3&4 are my phone - they are sharpened by the phone's processing, to my mind a little too much. Skies are usually rendered better by my big camera too, much more tone in them.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful...I think rain intensifies the colors...unless you did something with editing! I like all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos, especially the first and last. I haven't been to the Botanic Garden in Cambridge for some time as I can't get there without using public transport, which I prefer not to do at present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You captured some beautiful colours and scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful scenes and it is hard to tell which is from the phone.

    ReplyDelete