Earlier posts

Earlier posts
This blog is a continuation of an older one. To explore previous posts please click the photo above.

Thursday 29 October 2020

Eye-catchers

When I visit Harlow Carr gardens, the thing that I most enjoy is wandering my familiar route around the grounds and noticing what catches my eye. It is something different every time, as colours and aspects change with the seasons. I especially like the gravel borders, where plants are spread naturalistically in drifts, along with grasses that soften and add movement. So pretty, even as the plants begin to die back.  

There's a vibrant purple wall at one point, which always thrills me. The planting in the pots in front of it changes frequently. Lovely. 

In the vegetable garden, a sinuous 'hedge' is made of crab apple trees, the boughs now heavy with fruit that look like Christmas baubles. 

The annual borders, though fading, still offered a riot of colour and form. 

In the alpine house, a near perfect crocus was blooming, petals lightly flushed with mauve. 

The flower of Primula Viallii (Orchid primrose) is rather unusual, like a tiny red hot poker. 


And finally, the tawny autumnal shades of the herbaceous borders, given definition by the neatly trimmed cones (of box?) at the corners.  




4 comments:

  1. That first shot is especially gorgeous, very painterly. I was just wondering whether I should paint my garden fence purple??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recently several cabbage white butterflies were floating around my garden. As I do not have any cabbage I wondered where are they going to? Into my "box" (Buchsbaüme), that is where. I peered in and got the shock of my life. The cabbage whites had laid their eggs in a white net and the larvae had chomped up all the leaves. I ripped out all my "box" and took them to the bio tip. Hey! There were hundreds of dead "box" up there. Please check your "box" bushes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful time of year!

    ReplyDelete